Headshots are something we all make use of every day, whether it’s just for a profile photo on social media, or for C-suite corporate materials. But while many people make-do with a selfie on Facebook or Instagram, to be taken seriously by your peers, professionally taken headshots are the way forward.
From profile pictures on LinkedIn or Twitter and other social media marketing assets to publicity headshots, amateur selfies will not show you at your best, and certainly not the way you want prospective clients to see you. A professional photographer that specialises in headshots will know just how to position you and use the right lighting and backdrops to get the best shot.
They will also help with styling, and advise on the best clothing and colours to wear, or if you should wear your work ‘uniform’, such as chef’s whites, doctor’s lab coat, or whatever you normally wear for your role, for example.
With social media being such an important aspect of business and marketing, an impressive, professional headshot is more important than ever.
Here are some reasons why you should invest in professional headshots:
1. It conveys professionalism and gives a great first impression before you may meet potential clients, investors, and collaborators.
2. A good headshot gives people an idea of your personality before they meet you. A smile portrays approachability. A serious look portrays determination. Make your expression match your personality.
3. It will allow business contacts to identify you quicker at business conferences if you have already connected on social media.
4. A current headshot will let people know what you look like now, so remember to refresh it occasionally.
5. It supports and enhances the skills and experience on your LinkedIn profile, making you stand out from the rest.
6. It makes you feel good to look your best. Having a quality image of yourself to share with your professional peers boosts your self-confidence.